Introduction to the Difference Between Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery Pack and Ternary Lithium Ion Battery
1. The current domestic mainstream power lithium-ion battery cathode materials are divided into two types: lithium iron phosphate and ternary. Among them, lithium iron phosphate is currently the safest lithium-ion battery cathode material, and its cycle life is usually more than 2000 times. Due to the decline in prices and technical thresholds due to the maturity of the industry, many lithium-ion battery manufacturers will adopt lithium iron phosphate batteries for various reasons. However, lithium iron phosphate batteries have obvious shortcomings in terms of energy density. At present, the energy density of BYD lithium iron phosphate monomer cells, the leader of lithium iron phosphate batteries, is 150Wh. By the end of 2017, BYD expects to increase the energy density to 160Wh. Theoretically, phosphoric acid The energy density of lithium iron is difficult to exceed 200Gwh.
2. Ternary polymer lithium ion battery refers to a lithium ion battery that uses lithium nickel cobalt manganate as the cathode material. The actual ratio of nickel, cobalt and manganese can be adjusted according to specific requirements. Then ternary lithium ion battery, iron phosphate lithium ion battery, which is better? Because the ternary lithium-ion battery has a higher energy density (currently, the energy density of ternary lithium-ion batteries in the first-class power lithium battery manufacturers such as CATL can generally reach 200Wh/kg-220Wh/kg. The energy density of the body cell will reach the level of 300Wh/kg), the passenger car market has begun to turn to ternary lithium-ion batteries, and in passenger cars with higher safety requirements, lithium iron phosphate is more popular. With the development of all-electric passenger cars, ternary lithium-ion batteries are occupying an increasingly important position.
Some people say that the power lithium iron phosphate group is better than the ternary。
3. The energy density and cost of the two materials of lithium iron phosphate and ternary lithium-ion battery are different. Different cars and different car companies have different choices. Both the lithium iron phosphate battery and the ternary lithium ion battery are roughly the same in the production process. The difference is mainly reflected in the use and ratio of the materials, the specific process parameters are different, the equipment cannot be produced in the same line, and the simple modification The cost of switching output is high (ternary materials have strict requirements for vacuum dehumidification, and the previous lithium iron phosphate production line basically has no dehumidification requirements), so many home appliance core factories will simultaneously layout and purchase equipment separately in production planning.
4. Which battery has a longer life? lithium ion iron phosphate battery pack or ternary lithium ion battery? How to protect common lithium-ion batteries? The remaining capacity of the lithium iron phosphate battery is 84% after 5000 cycles, and the remaining capacity of the ternary lithium ion battery is 66% after 3900 cycles. In terms of cycle life, the advantages of the lithium iron phosphate battery pack are more obvious.
a. If the remaining capacity/initial capacity=80% is used as the end of the test, the current 1C cycle life of the lithium iron phosphate battery laboratory is more than 3,500 times, and some reach 5000 times, while the 1C cycle life of the ternary lithium ion battery laboratory is at about 2500 times.
b. The difference between lithium iron phosphate and ternary lithium ion batteries. In terms of cycle life, lithium iron phosphate battery packs have a much longer true life than ternary lithium ion batteries. Under the same number of cycles, the remaining capacity of a lithium iron phosphate battery is much more than that of a ternary lithium ion battery.
In addition to the large gap between the two batteries in terms of cycle life, the two are also different in terms of safety performance.
5. What is the difference in safety performance of lithium iron phosphate batteries and ternary lithium ion batteries?
a. From the perspective of material system, the decomposition temperature of the anode material of the lithium iron phosphate battery is about 700 degrees Celsius, and the decomposition temperature of the anode material of the ternary lithium ion battery is about 200 degrees Celsius.
b. In the test environment of the laboratory, the short circuit of lithium iron phosphate lithium ion battery and ternary lithium ion battery will basically not cause fire. The ternary lithium-ion battery is different and will be more prone to fire. Therefore, the ternary lithium-ion battery has higher requirements for thermal management, and the lithium iron phosphate battery pack is more adaptable to temperature and safer.